Niagara frontier Council #387
Niagara falls, NY

http://faculty.webster.edu/hulsizer/oa/WNYOA/index.html

Editors:

Michael Hulsizer

Special thanks to Marty Abramson & Harry DeBan

Lodge Details

Chartered
1945
Merged 1967

Lodge Details
Small lodge from Niagara Falls.

Lodge Totem/Insignia Powderhorn, tomahawk, and shirt

Name Translation Shirt Wearers Info

Pronunciation

Membership No Membership Data

Recent Updates

Recent Additions

Lodge History

On June 15, 1944, the camping committee of the Niagara Frontier Council adopted a resolution to form an Order of the Arrow Lodge to operate at Camp Thunder Rock, Camp Moss, and/or various Troop Camps in the area. The National Lodge approved the application on January 4, 1945 and assigned the number 284 to the local lodge resulting in the creating of Tuscarora Lodge 284. The five original members came from all over the United States. One, Frank Dominquez, III was inducted into the OA in 1937 at Hart Scout Reservation in the Philadelphia Council where the OA was introduced to Scouting. He was the Lodge advisor for several years. In August of 1945, the first Ordeal ceremony was held on the Tuscarora Indian Reservation. The name Tuscarora was taken as the Lodge name. The name means the "Shirt Wearers." Portage and Ongara were the two chapters.

In Spring 1967, the Greater Niagara Frontier Council was formed through the merger of the Niagara Frontier Council (Tuscarora Lodge) and the Buffalo Area Council (Ganosote Lodge). A new merged Lodge was formed, taking the name Ho-De-No-Sau-Nee, meaning "People of the Longhouse."