Greater new york, queens Council #644
New york, NY

http://www.suanhacky.org/calendar.php

Editors:

George Cuhaj

Special thanks to Reidan Cruz, Robert Petrillo, Frank Rickenbaugh, Denis Sackett

Lodge Details

Chartered
1930
Merged 2013

Lodge Details
2013: Merged with Ranachqua 4, Shu-Shu-Gah 24, Man-A-Hattan 82 and Aquehongian 112 to form Kintecoying 4

Lodge Totem/Insignia Stag

Name Translation Island Of Shells (Lenape)

Pronunciation

Membership 1149 (2007)

Recent Updates

Recent Additions

Lodge History

Suanhacky Lodge #49 was granted a charter on June 17, 1930 with the guidance of Charles Heistand, Queens Council Scout Executive. The first members were inducted on July 13, 1930 near the end of the first period of camping at Camp Man, Ten Mile River Scout Camps where Joseph H. Brinton was camp director. Members were elected throughout the summer and by the end of the summer camp sessions 45 members had been inducted. Monthly meetings were organized during the fall and winter months, and in June 1931 the first "Brotherhood" members were selected. On August 26, 1933 President Franklin D. Roosevelt visited Camp Man, gave a speech on the N.R.A. and was inducted as a member of the lodge. During the camp season of 1936 the idea of a everlasting light was conceived, and in August the start of construction for what would be called the "Tower of Friendship." In August 1936, New York City Mayor William O'Dwyer was inducted into the lodge. In 1953 construction of the Lodge House was initiated. Suanhacky Lodge members served on various tasks on the Scout Service Corps during the 1964-65 New York World's Fair.

There has been some major re-numbering of the Jacket Patch and Odd-shaped patch sections.